Updated on 28 August 2015
IMPORTANT: AAD Connect has replaced AADSync and DirSync. Reference: Azure Active Directory Sync
NOTE: On 2 May 2015, the latest version of AADSync was released, and is available here to download here.
Azure Active Directory Synchronization Services (AADSync), which was made generally available on 15 September 2014 (and updated on 16 December 2014), has been cleared to replace DirSync. **Check out the version history here.**
NOTE: As of 11 December 2014, Active Directory Synchronization Services (AADSync) can now replace DirSync for synchronizing on premise Active Directory users, groups and passwords to Office 365. Though DirSync is deprecated it is still available to download via the Office 365 Admin Center; however, please do not use it.
AADSync it functions in much of the same way that DirSync does (and has similar requirements), at this time some of the features in DirSync are not available with AADSync. The following is a short list of features that are not currently available with AADSync but are coming soon.
- Write-back of devices
- Password Hash Sync (now available with AADSync version 1.0.0470.1023 dated 27 October 2014)
- Password write-back (generally available as of 11 December 2014; announcement here)
- Integration with remote SQL servers
Review the full list of available features here compared to DirSync. One of the most anticipated features in AADSync is the ability to synchronize multiple on premise Active Directory and Exchange environments to Office 365. This means that objects from multiple forests will be able to be synchronized to a single Office 365 account (tenant).
Currently, AADSync will install SQL Express by default and a subset of Forefront Identity Manager 2010 R2 (FIM) features.
NOTE: As of 27 October 2014, password synchronization is available with AADSync version 1.0.0470.1023 (refer to AAD Sync Version Release History).
- Requirements for AADSync
- Installing AADSync
- Configure Filtering with AADSync
- Multi-Forest Deployment with AADSync
- Uninstalling AADSync
- Force Sync to Office 365 with AADSync
- AADSync Updates
- AADSync Version History
- Azure Active Directory Synchronization Services (AAD Sync)
- Microsoft Azure Active Directory Sync Services
- Directory integration
- Directory Integration Tools Feature Comparison
- Introduction to Microsoft Azure Active Directory Sync Services (System Center User Group Netherlands)