Let’s start with this informational snack regarding Alternate Login ID and Exchange Hybrid configurations with Office 365…
The Alternate Login ID feature is not compatible with Exchange Online Hybrid Deployments. Customers that wish to configure Exchange Online Hybrid Deployments with Office 365 must not configure Alternate Login ID.
The Alternate Login ID feature may impact various other Azure AD and Office 365 scenarios including:
- Office 365 ProPlus activation may require explicit sign-in
- InTune customers using SCCM connectors may require additional configuration
Contact your Account representative for more information on these incompatibilities.
That’s right! From a TechNet article updated on 17 Feb 2015, Alternate Login ID is not compatible with Exchange Hybrid. That doesn’t it mean we can’t implement it but it does mean the implementation may not work–as Joe Palarchio has outlined in this article.
However, if we plan to implement Alternate Login ID with your Exchange Hybrid deployment anyway, use caution and the references below because there is a pretty good possibility we will not receive support from Microsoft if we need help.
- Configuring Alternate Login ID (Microsoft)
- DirSync: Using Alternate Login IDs with Azure Active Directory (Microsoft)
- Office 365 – Configuring AD FS & DirSync with an Alternate Login (Joe Palarchio)
- Office 365 – The Limitations of Alternate Login ID (Joe Palarchio)
- Learn why Alternate Login ID is Office 365’s hidden gem (Steve Goodman)
- Using AD FS “Alternate Login ID” with Office 365 (Chris Goosen)