Mailbox move requests queued when migrating to Office 365

There is always a new wrinkle with every project when it comes to migrating mailboxes to Office 365 from an on premise Exchange environment. This week is no exception.

While moving the first mailbox to Office 365 from Exchange 2010 via hybrid, the status showed as “Queued” for longer than was expected. As a result, the move request was removed. After subsequent move request attempts provided the same results, the request was left in the “Queued” status overnight. The following morning the status showed “Completed”. Interestingly enough, each mailbox was queued for approximately 60 minutes before it started moving without intervention. However, I can’t wait that long (and neither could the customer).

I supposed it was an anomaly, however, additional move requests didn’t amount to anything different. Investigation of the move request details provided this information…

The request has been temporarily postponed due to validation failures Orphaned The Active Directory user isn't being moved.. MRS will attempt to continue processing the request again after 08/07/2015 23:08:26.

 

Searches did not provide any resolution. Therefore, I sent a query out to the Twitter community and received a response from Joe Palarchio.

MoveRequests Queued 2

 

Joe’s response helped me to know I wasn’t going crazy. And sure enough, suspending then resuming the move requests caused the mailboxes to start moving immediately. I’m unsure if something is going on this week at Microsoft but am glad to know I didn’t need to involve support.

It’s easy enough to perform this task through the EMC but let’ see what the PowerShell commands look like.

First, connect to Office 365 via PowerShell.

Then, let’s run this basic command to return the status of all move requests…

Get-MoveRequest

 

Next, run this command to see only the move requests that are queued…

Get-MoveRequest -MoveStatus Queued

 

Finally, run this command to suspend all queued move requests…

Get-MoveRequest -MoveStatus Queued | Suspend-MoveRequest

 

As soon as we have suspended the queued move requests, we will need to resume them. Run this command to check for suspended move requests…

Get-MoveRequest -MoveStatus Suspended

 

Lastly, let’s resume the suspended move requests…

Get-MoveRequest -MoveStatus Suspended | Resume-MoveRequest

 

If you ever have a situation where you are migrating mailboxes from a hybrid server and they are queued for an abnormally long time, don’t forget to try this little trick to get your project moving along without further delays.

Good luck and have fun!

 

Reference(s):

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Mailbox move requests queued when migrating to Office 365

  1. I just get an error when I try this.

    PS C:\> Get-MoveRequest -MoveStatus queued

    DisplayName Status TargetDatabase
    ———– —— ————–
    Michael Rose Jr Queued NAMPR11DG004-db004

    PS C:\> Get-MoveRequest -MoveStatus queued | Suspend-MoveRequest
    Couldn’t perform the operation because objects of type
    ‘Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxReplicationService.TransactionalRequestJob’ couldn’t be found on
    ‘BLUPR11A001DC05.NAMPR11A001.prod.outlook.com’.
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Suspend-MoveRequest], ManagementObjectNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : [Server=SN1PR11MB0495,RequestId=4a936be1-9a74-4c19-bf4f-d77335615f83,TimeStamp=8/18/2015
    12:55:26 PM] [FailureCategory=Cmdlet-ManagementObjectNotFoundException] 4B795446,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.Re
    cipientTasks.SuspendMoveRequest
    + PSComputerName : pod51059psh.outlook.com

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s