Review the complete Azure Active Directory Connect (AAD Connect) server requirements here.
UPDATE: As of 28 December 2016, AAD Connect version 1.1.380.0 was released (78.1 MB).
Server Requirements (Highlights)
- Windows Server 2008 Standard or newer
- The machine must be 64-bit OS and can be installed on a stand-alone, member server or domain controller (DC), however, it is not recommended to be installed on a DC. Windows 2012 R2 domain-joined server is recommended;
- AAD Connect CANNOT be installed on Small Business Server or Windows Server Essentials;
- Password synchronization requires Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 or newer.
- CPU: 1.6 GHz
- Memory: Recommended minimum of 4GB for up to 50,000 objects; 16GB for 50k-100k objects; 32GB for over 100k objects.
- Disk space: Recommended minimum of 70GB for up to 50,000 objects; 100GB for 50k-100k objects; 300GB+ for over 100k objects.
- SQL Express (installed by default with AAD Connect) for up to 100,000 objects;
- SQL Server is required for over 100k objects.
Software Prerequisites (Highlights)
- .NET Framework 4.5
- NOTE: If using Windows 2008 SP2 or Windows 2008 R2 SP1, you will need to install .NET Framework 4.5
- PowerShell 3.0 or newer (check what version of PowerShell is installed)
- NOTE: If you need to install PowerShell 3.0, it is included in Windows Management Framework (WMF) 3.0
Other Requirements (Highlights)
- Local administrator privileges to install AAD Connect
- Office 365 user with the Global Administrator role assigned
- Active Directory user with Enterprise Admins rights that will be used to read AD for the sync service
- Upgrading Previous Version of Azure AD Connect
- Requirements for AADSync
- Configure Filtering with AADSync
- Integrating your on-premises identities with Azure Active Directory
- Prerequisites for Azure AD Connect
- Microsoft Azure Active Directory Connect (Download)
- Azure AD Connect: Version Release History
- Install Azure AD Connect
- Azure AD Connect sync: Scheduler
- Azure AD Connect: Automatic upgrade
- Windows Management Framework (WMF) 3.0
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5